Unadilla Area Foundation Minutes
The meeting was called to order by President Barb Wilhelm with Bob Brandt, Larry Larson, Peggy Leefers, and Margo Larson present.
Minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and approved without any additions or corrections.
Barb presented the foundation with a check for $269 from Susanna Porter. Susanna conducted the Unadilla Fun Run in conjunction with the Unadilla BBQ Days and had 25 + runners competing. This was an excellent event, which was postponed temporarily by rain.
A general discussion was held in regard to the past BBQ and how we should proceed in 2012. We will address this specifically in our February meeting.
Bob indicated that he would be applying for a $500 grant from the Otoe County Visitors promotional fund, which are proceeds collected as a lodging tax in Otoe County.
Barb indicated that she and Maureen would set a date for solicitation letters to be mailed for the All Fund Drive. A copy of the solicitation letter can be found on the Unadilla website. Please let any foundation member know if we inadvertently omitted anybodies address. This years mailing will be paid by the Village of Unadilla. Last year it was paid by Countryside Bank ($106.92). Barb has tentatively set Tuesday, October 25th as the date to send out the mailings for the All Fund Drive.
A lengthy discussion was held in regard to Groundhog Day activities, which will be February 4, 2012 (Our 25th Celebration as the Groundhog Capital of Nebraska). We will have two new additions this year. They are as follows:
1. A quilt show and raffle in room #1 at the Unadilla Community Center, formally Unadilla Grade School. Peggy is looking for help and all those interested in showing quilts.
2. Bob indicated that a reception will be held in the Duncan Building for previous king and queen candidates. The event will be open to the public. All attendees will be encouraged to where historical Groundhog attire. Refreshments will be served and a potluck / Hors D’oeuves table will be available for all attendees. A special invitation to all previous king and queen candidates will be mailed and commemorative vest will be available will be available at this event only for purchase.
Other items discussed are as followers:
1. Peggy will be coordinating all activities in the gym. The craft fair /flee market will open to the public at 8:30 a.m. Those interested in help can be at the gym at 6:00 p.m. on Friday evening to help setup. Again call Peggy at 828-5725 if you would like to help. All proceeds will go to the Unadilla Library.
2. The silent auction will be at the gym and will close at 12:00 p.m. Larry and Margo will be in charge. We will again sell raffle tickets for a commemorative 22 riffle and businesses will be asked to donate items for the auction.
3. The Christian Church bake sale will begin at 9:00 a.m. at the Unadilla gym
4. Charolette Endoriff will speak in regard to the Nebraska orphan trains in the early years around 1900. This will start at 10:00 a.m.
5. Peggy will advise if anybody will be serving lunch at the gym
1. Annual soup & sandwich luncheon will again take place from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Methodist Church. Get there early as this event is always sold out!
1. T-shirt and cozies sales will be conducted by the youth at the Duncan Building from
2. The soup and jerky contest will be in the Duncan Building from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and we’ll be accepting entries from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Michelle and Matt will be taking entries and coordinating judging of these events. Raffle tickets will also be available at the Duncan Building for sale. Judging will take place during the parade and winners will be announced approximately 15 minutes after the parade. A free will donation will be taken to sample the soup and jerky immediately after the parade. Donations will go to the Unadilla Area Foundation. Entries can retrieve their crock pots after 3:30 p.m.
1. The King and Queen will be announced at 2:00 p.m. at The Bar, in addition to the winners of the parade floats. Please have any suggestions for king and queen forwarded to any foundation member so that we can put them in front of the nominating committee.
A discussion was held in setting up a Unadilla Community Foundation Endowment Fund. This endowment would be used to cover operating expenses at the Community Center such as utilities, insurance, maintenance and miscellaneous purchases from time to time. Bob will be visiting with some members of the Nebraska Community Foundation in regard to some ideas. However, we are looking for sponsors that require matching gifts in order to get our campaign off to a flying start. A suggestion was made to name each room in the Community Center after a sponsor who commits to a $25,000 or more donation. This could be in the form of a matching donation, gifts of cash, life insurance, gifts by wills, gifts of grain and /or livestock.
We have added a contribution line in this year’s All Fund Drive to start this endowment fund for upkeep of the Community Center. Perhaps we can get some ideas in February when we host the Nebraska Community Foundation Regional Meeting in the Duncan Building.
Bob also indicated that as the Ambassador of the ReTree Nebraska movement, which is being champion by the Statewide Arboretum, he will be distributing red bud trees for planting this spring in Unadilla and the surrounding areas. Stay tuned to the Unadilla Community website for updated information if you are interested. Some representatives from the Unadilla Foundation will help plant trees for those who are not capable and have a location available.
Bob reported that there was $20,488.83 on hand in the general fund as of September 30, 2011. The next scheduled meeting will be December 13, 2011 at 10:00 a.m.
There being no further business the meeting was adjourned.
Bob Brandt, Secretary